The Firm’s environmental practice group is acknowledged as a statewide leader. Our attorneys have broad experience in both environmental litigation and regulatory proceedings and have defended numerous enforcement actions instituted by the United States Department of Justice, Region IV of the Environmental Protection Agency, and the Mississippi Commission on Environmental Quality, including actions brought under TSCA, RCRA, CERCLA, the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, the Mississippi Air and Water Pollution Control Law, the Mississippi Solid and Hazardous Waste Law, and the Mississippi Underground Storage Tank Act. The firm has also obtained numerous environmental permits for its clients in proceedings before the Mississippi Environmental Quality Permit Board and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Serve as legal counsel to the Mississippi Manufacturers Association with regard to challenges to four greenhouse gas rules promulgated by Environmental Protection Agency in 2010. Petitions for Review were filed in the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals challenging EPA’s Endangerment Finding. Subsequent Petitions for Review were filed to challenge EPA’s other GHG rules, including the Subject to Regulation (STR/Timing Rule), the Motor Vehicle Tailpipe Rule, and the GHG Tailoring Rule. These challenges are still pending in the D.C. Circuit.
- Served as legal counsel to assist DuPont’s DeLisle, MS titanium dioxide manufacturing facility secure the necessary approvals from public bodies in Harrison County for zoning and solid waste planning approval for a new industrial landfill to handle the future waste disposal needs of the facility.
- Serve as legal counsel to the City of Hattiesburg, Mississippi in connection with several legal issues related to the City’s wastewater treatment facilities.
- The Firm serves as general counsel to the wastewater authority for the State’s 6th most populated county. The Firm’s responsibilities include providing compliance advice with state and local laws, commercial and construction advice regarding facility construction and operation, and public and private financing advice for the authority’s projects.
- The Firm serves as Mississippi counsel to Midcontinent Independent Transmission System Operator, Inc. (“MISO”), the nation’s first Regional Transmission Organization, in the effort to obtain regulatory approval for Entergy Mississippi, Inc. to join MISO.