J. Gordon Flowers
Practice AreasCommercial Litigation
Personal Injury, Mass Torts, and Product Liability
J. Gordon Flowers
Gordon Flowers has over 30 years of experience practicing law in the Columbus, Mississippi area. Currently, he represents a number of manufacturing concerns in Mississippi, particularly in the Golden Triangle. He not only advises and counsels those clients, but defends their interest when lawsuits are filed. In addition to his industrial clients, he defends various healthcare providers, including hospitals, clinics and individual physicians that have been charged with medical negligence.
Gordon has been recognized as a leader in the legal profession by his peers, having been selected to Best Lawyers for a number of years, and has been active in the growth and support of his community.
- B.S., Mississippi State University, 1976
- J.D., University of Mississippi, 1980 (Mississippi Law Journal, Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity)
- Mississippi (1980)
- United States District Courts of Mississippi (1980)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1980)
Community & Professional Activities
- Golden Triangle Development LINK (Past Chairman and Current Member of Executive Committee)
- Columbus Chamber of Commerce (Past Member/Board of Directors)
- Columbus Lowndes Economic Development Authority (Past Member/Board of Directors)
- Columbus Educational Foundation, Inc. (Past President and member of Board of Directors)
- Phillips Foundation (Trustee)
- Columbus United Way (Past Leader – Legal Division)
- First United Methodist Church (Past Stewardship Chair; Past Staff Parish Committee Chair; Past Member Board of Trustees)
- Rotary Club (Past President)
- “The Best Lawyers in America” in the following categories: Commercial Litigation (Personal Injury), Environmental Law (Litigation), Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants, Personal Injury Litigations – Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Lowndes County Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Lamar Order of the University of Mississippi Law School
- Successfully represented a developer in a complex public/private project involving the restoration of a landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The project included an extremely complex financing package, using various credits and incentives.
- Represented a manufacturer in the pre-suit investigation of a catastrophic accident, resulting in death of an employee of a contractor.
- Represented company whose employee was receiving kick-backs from a third-party vendor. Successfully completed the investigation, filed suit, resulting in the complete recovery of the client’s loss.
- Successfully defended a chemical manufacturer charged with failing to provide a safe place to work by an 18 year old who lost his leg in an industrial accident. Claims against the client were dismissed without payment of any indemnity.
- Defended a physician charged with medical negligence, resulting in death. After a jury trial the physician was absolved of liability.
- Defended dozens of related cases alleging personal injury and property damage from creosote contamination in a neighborhood.
- Defended chemical company in a 1,000 plaintiff case alleging property damage from air emissions.
- Represented manufacturer of transformers alleged to have allowed PCB contamination escape into a neighborhood.
- Defended manufacturer of electric motors alleged to have caused groundwater contamination in a residential neighborhood.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America©: Commercial Litigation; Environmental Law, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Best Lawyers in America©: Lawyer of the Year, 2017: Personal Injury Litigation- Defendants- Tupelo, MS
- Best Lawyers in America©: Lawyer of the Year 2013 Tupelo Region in Commercial Litigation