John E. Wade
Practice AreasCommercial Litigation
Personal Injury, Mass Torts, and Product Liability
Zoning and Land Use Regulation
John E. Wade
Johnny Wade joined the Brunini Firm in 1983. He has extensive civil litigation experience in state and federal trial and appellate courts in Mississippi and before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Johnny has represented both businesses and individuals in the defense of a wide variety of lawsuits, with a special emphasis on nursing homes, insurance coverage, medical malpractice and products liability. He has been routinely named a Mid-South Super Lawyer® and a Best Lawyer® in America in several fields.
Johnny has been elected to membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) and the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel. Johnny has earned an AV rating in Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. He presently serves on the Board of Brunini, Grantham, Grower & Hewes.
Leadership positions Johnny has held in professional and civic affairs include Past President of the Jackson Young Lawyers, and Past President of the Central Mississippi Chapter of the University of Mississippi Alumni Association. Johnny has also served on the Boards of Directors of the Hinds County Bar Association, the Jackson Metropolitan YMCA, the University of Mississippi Alumni Association and has been a member of Jackson Preparatory High School’s Board of Trustees. He is also a member of the Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association and the American Bar Association’s Litigation, Torts and Insurance Practice Sections. Mr. Wade previously served on the Mississippi State Bar’s Professionalism Program Panel. He recently participated in a mock trial presented at the DRI Nursing Home Litigation Seminar.
- J.D., University of Mississippi, 1983 (Mississippi Law Journal)
- B.A., University of Mississippi, 1980
- Mississippi (1983)
- United States District Courts of Mississippi (1983)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1983)
- United States District Court for Western District of Tennessee (2012)
- United States Supreme Court
Community & Professional Activities
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Hinds County Bar Association nka Capital Area Bar Association (Board of Directors, 1998-2000)
- Defense Research Institute
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Jackson Young Lawyers Association, Past President
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association (Member: Litigation, Torts and Insurance Practice Sections)
- Who’s Who in the Practice of Law
- Central Mississippi Chapter of University of Mississippi Alumni Association, Past President
- Jackson Metropolitan YMCA (Board of Directors, 2000-2002)
- During November 2020, John Wade and Lane Bobo obtained summary judgment on behalf of St Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital in a medical malpractice case filed on behalf of a comatose plaintiff arising from a brain injury
- During January 2020, John Wade, Claire Ketner and Lane Bobo obtained summary judgment based upon the statute of limitations in a medical malpractice case filed against Select Specialty Hospital in Hinds County Circuit Court before Judge Tomie Green.
- During 2018 obtained a monetary judgment and injunction in arbitration in favor of an accounting firm in litigation with a competing firm.
- During December 2018, obtained summary judgment for St. Dominic – Jackson Memorial Hospital in a case where the plaintiff claimed to be partially paralyzed as a result of the alleged negligence of the hospital and a local physician.
- During August 2017 obtained dismissal of local ophthalmologist in a medical malpractice action filed in Madison County.
- During April 2017, John Wade obtained an order granting summary judgment in favor of St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital. In this medical malpractice case, the plaintiffs asserted that St. Dominic and a physician breached the standard of care, resulting in the plaintiff’s death allegedly as a result of combined drug toxicity.
- On January 18, 2017, John Wade obtained a directed verdict in arbitration in favor of St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital. This case involved a medical malpractice claim arising out of a multi-level cervical discectomy and fusion surgery performed by an orthopedic surgeon at St. Dominic.
- On October 24, 2016, John Wade obtained summary judgment on behalf of Regency Hospital of Jackson, LLC. In this medical malpractice claim, the plaintiffs asserted that Regency Hospital breached the standard of care which resulted in the development of bed sores and sepsis, causing the plaintiff’s death.
- On August 31, 2016, John Wade and Joseph Sclafani obtained an order dismissing Kean Miller, LLP based upon lack of personal jurisdiction in a multimillion dollar legal malpractice case before United States District Court Judge Keith Starrett. This decision was affirmed by the Fifth Circuit on June 26,2017.
- In 2016, obtained a directed verdict in arbitration on behalf of St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital malpractice lawsuit filed by Sarah Perkins.
- Supreme Court affirms directed verdict on behalf of St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital due to failure of medical expert to provide sufficient evidence of causation of alleged injury to fall.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of Select Speciality Hospital in a medical negligence case. In that case the plaintiff alleged that the hospital was negligent resulting in the development of a Stage 4 pressure sore, protein malnutrition, dehydration and weight loss. The one week jury trial was in Hinds County Circuit Court before Judge Tomie Green.
- Obtained a directed verdict on behalf of St Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital in a lawsuit filed by Elizabeth Martin in Hinds County Circuit Court.
- Obtained a ruling from the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, along with Matt Allen, affirming the district court’s dismissal of a professional negligence claim against Beverly Enterprises-Mississippi, Inc.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of St Dominic Jackson Memorial Hospital in a medical malpractice case filed by David Barham. The jury trial lasted one week in Hinds County Circuit Court.
- Obtained a defense verdict in Hinds County Circuit Court in a suit brought against St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital. The plaintiff in the case alleged St. Dominic breached the minimum duty of reasonable care, skill, and diligence and was negligent, grossly negligent, and reckless in their performance of medical procedures on Plaintiff. On appeal, the Mississippi Supreme Court affirmed the defense verdict obtained in this case (See Bobbie Johnson v. St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital, No. 2006-CA-01696-SCT).
- Obtained a defense verdict in arbitration on behalf of Pemberton Manor Nursing Home and Magnolia Healthcare, Inc. The family of Laura Gordon alleged that the nursing home was negligent, resulting in Ms. Gordon suffering from dehydration, decubitus ulcers and death.
- Has been successful in compelling multiple long term care cases to arbitration.
Speeches & Publications
- Presenting on “Managing the Nuclear Life Care Plan” at the Winter meeting of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel in Nashville on February 21, 2023.
- Mock trial – 2008 DRI Nursing Home Litigation Seminar
- American Conference Institute’s Long-Term Care Conference – April 2011
- American Conference Institute’s Long-Term Care Conference – January 2012 Defending Charting Errors and Omissions: Going Beyond the Basics to Overcome Holes in the Chart
- Presenter for American Conference Institute Long-Term Care Conference: “Preventing and Defending Long-Term Care Litigation”. January 2013.
- Presenter for American Conference Institute Long-Term Care Conference: “Finding, Choosing, and Working with Medical Experts and Identifying New Methods to Use the Medicine to Win Your Case”. January 2014.
- Presenter for American Conference Institute’s Fifth Annual Forum on Preventing and Defending Long Term Care Litigation. January 29-30, 2015.
- Presenter at the American Conference Institutes Forum on Long Term Care Litigation & Risk Management Strategies in Miami from Jan 20-22,2016.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers In America©: Lawyer of the Year, 2022 – Litigation – Health Care
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Best Lawyers in America©: Commercial Litigation; Personal Injury Litigation- Defendants; Medical Malpractice-Defendants; Mass Tort Litigation/Call Action-Defendants
- Mid-South Super Lawyers®: Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice Defense
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® [Top 50 Lawyers in MS]
- Corporate Counsel’s Top Rated Lawyer® – Health Care Law
- American Society of Legal Advocates [Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in MS]
- Super Lawyers – Top 50 Attorney in Mississippi
- Mississippi Business Journal 2016 Top Ten Leadership in Law Award Recipient
- BRUNINI ATTORNEYS RECOGNIZED IN THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA© 2023 EDITION
- Brunini Named Best Law Firm in Mississippi for Third Year in a Row
- Brunini Attorneys Recognized in the 2022 Edition of Best Lawyers
- 17 Brunini Attorneys Named to 2020 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- CORONAVIRUS AND THE INTERRUPTION OF YOUR BUSINESS
- Brunini Recognized by Super Lawyers
- Brunini Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers
- Brunini Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers
- 2016 Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty- seven honored by Best Lawyers® 2017, Four attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”
- Brunini’s 2014 Super Lawyers
- EMPLOYER MANDATE AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS – STILL AWAITING GUIDANCE