The Mississippi Environmental Quality Permit Board (“Board”) convened its regular monthly meeting at 9:00 a.m. on June 12, 2018, at the offices of the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality, in Jackson. Dennis Riecke chaired the meeting.
The Board approved minutes from the May meeting and the non-controversial actions/ certifications completed by the staff since the May meeting.
Following a prepared agenda, items considered were as follows:
OFFICE OF POLLUTION CONTROL
Brian and Marie Sanderson: Issuance of Water Quality Certification WQC2017069, Jackson County
Staff recommended and Board approved the issuance of a Water Quality Certification for the development of a single-family residence adjacent to Biloxi Bay. A joint public notice was issued by MDEQ, Mississippi Department of Marine Resources and the Army Corps of Engineers and adjacent property owners were notified. MDEQ received letters of objection from adjacent property owners; however, no one appeared at the meeting. The Applicants are required to purchase mitigation credits before construction.
OFFICE OF GEOLOGY
James Matheny (MDEQ Office of Geology, Mining and Reclamation) presented the MDEQ Staff’s recommendations and Board approved the following:
Surface Mining Bond Releases
|EP Engineered Clays Corporation||Monroe||P88-013T||Initial 70%|
|Hunter Sand and Gravel||Yazoo||P00-030||No release|
|Mangum Farms||Tunica||P99-053||Initial 90%|
|Roy Collins Construction Co., Inc.||Bolivar||P96-033T||Final 50%|
- Roy Furrh, MDEQ Legal Counsel, welcomed Mr. Jess New, Executive Director of the Mississippi Oil and Gas Board as the newest member of the MDEQ Permit Board
- Le Poultry: (Heard during April 10, and May 8, 2018 Permit Board Meetings): Issuance of Coverage under the DLPAFO General Permit (MSG201968) and Issuance of Storm Water Coverage (MSR107600) Pike County
- Mr. Furrh then reported that Mr. and Mrs. McGee have filed a Request for Evidentiary Hearing and a Joinder has been filed by others
- Permit Board Officer Elections 7/1/18 to 6/30/19
- James Hoffmann was elected as Chairman
- Chris McDonald was elected as Vice-Chairman
The next Permit Board meeting will be held on July 10, 2018, at 9 a.m.
This Newsletter is a publication of the Environmental Department of the law firm of Brunini, Grantham, Grower & Hewes located in Jackson, Mississippi. This Newsletter is not designed or intended to provide legal or professional advice, as any such advice requires the consideration of the facts of the specific situation.
If you have any questions concerning the content of a newsletter, or if you would like further information about the matters addressed in a newsletter, please contact John Milner, the Brunini Firm Environmental Practice Group leader, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (601) 960-6842.