Curt Hébert, Jr.
Curt Hébert, Jr.
Curt Hébert, Jr. is the former Chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and the former Executive Vice President for Entergy Corporation. Hébert joined Brunini effective August 1, 2012.
Hébert most recently served as Chief Executive Officer of Lexicon Strategy Group, an energy, finance and regulatory law advisory firm with offices in Mississippi, Louisiana and Washington, D.C. In addition, he sits as a visiting scholar with the Bipartisan Policy Center in Washington, where he co-chairs the Energy Reliability Task Force.
Hébert has advised energy companies and corporations throughout the Southeast, Northeast, and Midwest, as well as companies in Europe, Asia and Middle East on numerous matters, including building accountability and transparency into corporate governance, improving the quality of regulatory filings, reporting and relationships, and executing complex, structured regulatory settlements.
Hébert has extensive contacts both inside and outside the industry, from regulators and government officials to analysts and executives. He has developed broad and deep experience in all segments of the energy sector, spanning exploration and production, natural gas transportation, electric generation and distribution, chemicals, and mining. He also brings a thorough knowledge of national and international energy markets, policy and regulatory processes. Hébert has spent years in the telecommunications, transportation and water/sewage sector on regulatory filings and administrative hearings.
- B.S., University of Southern Mississippi 1985
- J.D., Mississippi College School of Law 1990
- Nuclear Reactor Technology Program, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2004
- United States District Courts of Mississippi
Community & Professional Activities
- Co-chair Electric Grid Cyber Security Initiative at the Bipartisan Policy Center
- Chairman of the Federal Regulatory Commission (1997-2001)
- Chair and Commissioner of the Mississippi Public Service Commission (1992-1997)
- Mississippi House of Representatives ( 1987-1992)
Speeches & Publications
- Fox Business News – J.P. Morgan Department of Justice Investigation, August 21, 2013 [link]
- Curt Hebert moderates “Protecting the Electric Grid from Cyber Attacks: Where Do We Stand?” Panel Discussion, Bipartisan Policy Center, August 6, 2013
- A Solution to the Electric Transmission Riddle, Bipartisan Policy Center, February 10, 2013
- “Capitalizing on the Evolving Power Sector: Policies for a Modern and Reliable U.S. Power Grid,” Bipartisan Policy Center, February 7, 2013
- Co-chair Electric Grid Cyber Security Initiative at the Bipartisan Policy Center: [Link]
- “Electricity Restructuring Legislation Over Easy,” 13 Electricity Journal 2000
- “Exposing Myths on What the FERC Really Wants,” Public Utilities Fortnightly (March 2000)
- “Curt Hebert – Making Rules and Making Waves An Exclusive Interview with the FERC Commissioner,” Sourcebook March 2000
- “The Year in Review,” 14 Electricity Journal 1999
- “Where We Go From Here,” C. Hebert Jr and Joshua Z. Rokach, Public Utilities Fortnightly (May 1999)
- “Moving the RTO Debate,” 12 Electricity Journal March 1999
- “The Quest for An Inventive Utility Regulatory Agenda, 19 Energy Law Journal 1998
- “Dissent at the FERC?” Public Utilities Fortnightly (June 1998)
Honors & Awards
- Mississippi Business Journal 2015 Top Ten Leadership in Law Award Recipient
- Curt Hébert Named as Keynote Speaker for EPI’s 2016 Energy Policy Research Conference
- Curt Hébert Named 2015 Mississippi Business Journal “Top Ten” Leadership in Law Recipient
- Brunini’s Hébert Contributes Article for Special Energy Report on CNBC.com
- Curt Hebert, co-chair of Bipartisan Policy Center’s Electric Grid Cybersecurity Initiative presents “Cybersecurity and the North American Electric Grid: New Policy Approaches to Address an Evolving Threat”
- Smart Grid Today Names Brunini’s Curt Hébert One of Smart Grid Pioneers of 2013
- Brunini’s Curt Hebert Interviewed by National Media Concerning National Energy Policy