John M. Flynt
Economic Development Tax Incentives
Industrial Project Development
Mergers and Acquisitions
John M. Flynt
John Flynt is a commercial attorney with over twenty years’ experience negotiating a broad range of transactions for public and private entities. He advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, credit facilities and commercial loans, secured transactions, real estate transactions, securities and bond offerings, entity formation and equity relations, joint ventures, and general commercial matters. As a corporate advisor, John counsels clients on day-to-day business issues and complex transactions, covering a wide variety of business sectors. He also frequently serves as local counsel to out of state firms and renders closing legal opinions in connection with commercial and financial transactions. John has a Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® peer rating and is recognized by his peers in The Best Lawyers in America© for the areas of Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Real Estate Law, and Administrative/Regulatory Law.
John’s legal background includes seven years as in-house counsel to a New York Stock Exchange listed chemical manufacturer with facilities in four states and the Caribbean. As General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, he held full responsibility for the legal affairs of the company and served as the company’s SEC Compliance Officer. John advised senior management and the board of directors on business development and transactional matters, securities compliance, bank and bond financing, litigation strategy, large vendor and customer agreements, capital expansion projects, and numerous other corporate matters. Prior to leaving the company, John managed the company’s bankruptcy reorganization, including negotiation of debtor-in-possession credit facilities and assets sales, and the successful sale of the company upon exit.
John graduated magna cum laude from Cumberland School of Law of Samford University where he was a Presidential Scholar, a member of the Cumberland Law Review, a faculty-selected Cordell Hull Teaching Fellow, awarded Scholar of Merit Awards for Evidence and Constitutional Law, and recognized with the law school’s highest distinction for academic achievement and service to the law school by induction into the Curia Honoris Society.
- B.A., University of Mississippi, 1990
- M.S., Northeastern University in Boston, 1992
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law of Samford University, 1996 Magna Cum Laude
- Mississippi (1996)
- United States District Courts of Mississippi (1996)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1996)
Community & Professional Activities
- Mississippi Bar Association, Business Law Section (Chairman – 2001-2002, Vice-Chairman – 2000-2001, Secretary/Treasurer – 1999-2000)
- Mississippi Secretary of State’s Division of Policy & Research, Voidable Transactions Act Study Group (Member, 2014)
- Mississippi Secretary of State’s Division of Policy & Research Business Law Reform Study Group (Member, 2011-2012)
- Mississippi Secretary of State’s Division of Policy & Research Securities Law Reform Study Group (Member, 2008-2009)
- Mississippi Secretary of Stateäó»s Business Law Advisory Group (Member, 2002-2007)
- Mississippi Corporate Counsel Association (President – 2003, Vice-President – 2002, Secretary/Treasurer – 2001, Director – 2000)
- American Bar Association (Member, Business Law Section (1996- present); Member, Mergers & Acquisitions Committee (2011-present); Member, Commercial Finance Committee (2011-present); Member, Middle Market and Small Business Committee (2011-present); Member, Legal Opinions Committee(2011-present))
- Cumberland School of Law Advisory Board (Member, 2005-2011)
- Cumberland School of Law, Annual Capital Campaign (Class President, 2005-2006)
- Cumberland School of Law Alumni Club of Mississippi (Member, President – 1997-2003)
- Pro Bono Volunteer for Mississippi Volunteer Lawyer Project, Mississippi Bar Association Hurricane Katrina Project, Stewpot Community Services, and Mississippi Center for Justice
- John has been an active member of many civic organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, Mississippi Heritage Trust, Womenäó»s Fund of the Community Foundation of Greater Jackson, Jackson Zoo Annual Fundraiser Volunteer, Jackson Symphony Orchestra Fundraiser, National Kidney Foundation of Mississippi Fundraiser, Mississippi Museum of Art Fundraiser, and University of Mississippi Central Mississippi Alumni Board.
- Represented borrowers in connection with syndicated senior secured credit facilities and commercial loans.
- Represented buyers and sellers of privately held businesses and assets.
- Represented borrowers and lenders as local counsel in connection with financing, real estate matters, and rendering Mississippi law opinions.
- Represented private, multi-generational seller of manufacturing business to a public foreign corporation.
- Represented private seller of metal building manufacturer with operations in seven states to a private equity firm.
- Represented borrower in the acquisition of 52,000 acres of timberland.
- Represented buyers and sellers of multi-family housing complexes, including low-income housing.
- Represented developer in rehabilitation of historic building as a conference center and related new construction of a nationally flagged hotel, parking garage, and mixed-use condominium building, including new markets tax credit and historic tax credit financing.
- Represented franchisee in joint venture with national franchise.
- Represented franchisee in real estate acquisition and construction financing for numerous locations in multiple states.
- Represented franchisee in a sale and leaseback of store locations.
- Represented national bank in acquisitions of community banks.
- Represented borrowers and lenders as local counsel in connection with the development of solar power facilities.
- Represented distressed debtor in loan workout and sale of SBA financed senior living facility.
- Represented Mississippi Development Authority in connection with financial and tax incentives for construction of 1.5 ton per year steel plant and 20,000 ton per year seamless pipe manufacturing plant.
- Represented Mississippi Development Authority in the administration of its HUD Community Development Block Grant for Hurricane Katrina homeowner relief.
- Represented borrowers in connection with loans financed through Mississippi Business Finance Corporation.
- Represented issuers of taxable and tax-exempt bonds.
- Represented sponsors of an investment fund.
- Represented equity holders in recapitalization through venture capital funding.
- Represented issuers under exempt securities offerings.
- Represented operator in negotiation of an industrial tolling agreement to provide terminal services, maintenance services, product handling, and inventory management.
- Represented manufacturer in sale of chemical production facility, site lease, operating agreement, and exclusive supply agreement.
- Represented buyers and sellers of numerous commercial real estate properties and lease negotiations.
- Represented condominium developer in connection with joint venture restructuring for multiple developments.
- Represented condominium developers in connection with real estate and financing matters.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Lawyer of the Year, 2018: Administrative / Regulatory Law – Jackson, MS
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Administrative/ Regulatory Law; Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Real Estate Law
- Martindale Hubbell: “AV Preeminent”
- 2008 Mississippi Business Journal’s Top 40 Under 40 Honoree