Cody C. Bailey
Cody C. Bailey
Cody C. Bailey joined the Brunini Firm in 2011 after a one-year clerkship for the Hon. Rhesa H. Barksdale on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Cody received his J.D. from the University of Mississippi graduating summa cum laude in 2010. While in Law School, Cody was on the Executive Editorial Board and was the Mississippi Cases Editor of the Mississippi Law Journal. He received the Mississippi Law Journal Award. He also distinguished himself on the Moot Court Board, earning a membership in The Order of the Barristers and being named best oral advocate in several moot court competitions.
In 2006, Cody graduated summa cum laude from the Bagley College of Engineering at Mississippi State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering. Cody practiced mechanical design engineering with Chevron at their Pascagoula, Mississippi refinery for one year before attending law school.
Cody’s practices focus primarily on the construction industry and on general commercial and business litigation.
Cody’s construction practice includes contract preparation and negotiation, bid protests, claim evaluation and preparation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation. Cody is well versed in Mississippi’s lien law and other laws related to payment and collection. In Cody’s construction practice, he services clients in all sectors of the construction industry, including civil construction, vertical construction, and road building.
In Cody’s general commercial and business litigation practice, Cody represents businesses in various corporate, manufacturing, service, and industrial sectors. Cody not only advises and counsels those corporate clients, but also defends their interests when lawsuits are filed.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Mississippi State University, 2006 summa cum laude
- J.D., University of Mississippi, 2010 summa cum laude
- Mississippi (2010)
- United States District Courts of Mississippi (2010)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (2010)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit (2012)
- United States District Court for Western District of Tennessee (2012)
Community & Professional Activities
- Mississippi Associated Builders & Contractors, Board of Directors and Chairman of the Young Professionals Committee
- Phoenix Club of Jackson Board of Directors
- Mississippi State Bar
- Jackson Young Lawyers
- Capital Area Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Sherwood Security Association Board of Directors
- American Bar Association, Torts and Insurance Practices Section, Forum Committee on the Construction Industry
- Defense Research Institute
- Member of First Baptist Church of Jackson
- Cellular South Real Estate Inc., v. City of Germantown, 2015 WL 3852781 (W.D. Tenn. 2015)
Speeches & Publications
- Cody Bailey, All Wound Up: Unraveling the Application of FRCP 12(b)(1) Versus FRCP 56 Under the Federal Tort Claims Act, 79 Miss. L.J. 757 (2010).
- Cody Bailey, Recent Decision, Architex Ass’n v. Scottsdale Ins. Co.,27 So. 2d 1148 ( Miss. 2010), Mississippi Law Journal Online Volume 79 (2010).
- Cody Bailey, National Business Institute Seminar Author and Presenter, Construction Disputes: Effective (and Practical) Legal Negotiation Strategies, Resolving Differing Site Conditions Disputes and Negotiating Out-of-Scope Work Disputes (July 2014)
- Cody Bailey and David Kaufman, Practical Law State Q&A – Responding to a Complaint: Mississippi (2015)
- Presenter for Mississippi Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors: The Importance of Contracts in the Construction Industry (2013)
- Presenter to Mississippi Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors regarding Mississippi’s Lien Law (2014)
- Presenter to Mississippi ASHRAE regarding Mississippi’s Lien Law (2015)
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers: Rising Star-Construction Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hotlist for the United States