In connection with the Firm’s broad representation of clients who are involved in Industrial Project Development or Energy Project Development, we have assisted a wide variety of clients in securing and maximizing the benefit of available tax incentives. Clients have included all types and sizes of new and expanding industrial and energy concerns, from an automotive manufacturer investing over $1 billion in a new facility, to a shipyard investing hundreds of millions in expansions, to small expansions of existing industries. The Firm has helped draft special incentive legislation for a number of large projects and has assisted other clients in structuring complex transactions and in negotiating and implementing available incentives. Incentives include special post-Katrina GO Zone benefits; property, sales, use and franchise tax incentives; tax exempt and taxable bond financing; and tax increment financing. In the course of the Firm’s work, our members have assisted clients in negotiating and implementing incentives with State level authorities, including the Mississippi Development Authority, the Mississippi Business Finance Corporation, and the Mississippi Department of Revenue, and local county and city governments across the State. We have also represented the MDA in its negotiation and implementation of incentives for a large steel mill project. The Firm also has extensive experience in State and local industrial and economic development financing with state and federal tax incentives.
Economic Development Tax Incentives
- Representation of State of Mississippi in connection with third-party development and financing of steel mill.
- Representation of automobile manufacturer in connection with development and financing of manufacturing facility in the State.
- Regularly advise clients on financing development projects through Mississippi Business Finance Corporation bond issues.
- The Firm served as Underwriter’sCounsel Counsel for the $8,900,000 Mississippi Development Bank Special Obligation Bonds, Series 2010 (City of Columbus General Obligation Infrastructure and Refunding Bond Project). These tax-exempt bonds were issued to finance certain projects and improvements of the city and to redeem certain prior outstanding bonds.
- The Firm served as Underwriter’sCounsel Counsel for the $7,750,000.00 Mississippi Development Bank Special Obligation Bonds, Series 2011 (Lowndes County, Mississippi General Obligation Bond Project). These tax-exempt bonds were issued to finance certain projects and improvements of the county.